A How-To for Attracting Miracles

October 29, 2013
Reading time: 3 minutes
Motivation, Potential, Purpose, Relationships



Monday marks the beginning of the month of Sagittarius. It could not have come any sooner after the intensity of Virgo, Libra, and Scorpio. I think we could all use a cosmic breather!

We are now knee deep in fall, slipping on our boots and stomping around on fallen leaves. I love everything that comes with this season—warm drinks, hearty soups, and chilly nights.  We are also moving into a time when the days get shorter and sunny skies become less frequent, especially in the colder climates.  But that doesn’t mean the season has to be gloomy.  On the contrary! Darkness is an invitation for extra light, and the New Moon of Sagittarius gives us the opportunity to open up greater channels of Light.

Sagittarius is a thrilling month, just like your typical Sagittarians, who are fun-loving risk takers, always on the lookout for new challenges and thrills. Whenever an opportunity for adventure arises, Sagittarians are the first to rush in; the more impossible the task, the greater their enthusiasm. If there’s one thing that gets them going, it’s danger. Whatever the situation, Sagittarians seek pleasure at almost any cost. We all want instant gratification, but they really want it! Though they mean no harm, their drive to please themselves often leads them to become insensitive to those around them. Anyone married to a Sagittarian is probably familiar with this reality. However, despite their recklessness, it’s easy to forgive a Sag.  Their certainty that everything will be fine in the end is what invites destiny to be on their side. Experiencing miracles is second nature to them… in fact they expect them. It’s a reminder to us all. Expecting and experiencing miracles is a gift not solely reserved for those born under this sign.

All of us are blessed with the gift of miracle making this month.  The key is that you have to create a place for miracles to exist. Imagine you are undergoing a risky medical procedure. Hypothetically, only 1% of patients come through the procedure. That 1% is the place that the miracle needs to rest and where you place your consciousness, not on the other 99%. The 1% is where the blessing will be, where the Light of the Creator will come down. When we want to awaken miracles in our life, we have to find out and be aware of where the opening is. We will not draw down blessings and miracles into our lives with hope, but rather with certainty, which creates a space, because miracles can’t rest in an empty place.

The Bible as well as The Zohar recounts the story of a widow, the wife of the late Ovadyahu who had died leaving many debts that his wife couldn’t repay. In the story, his wife went to the prophet Elisha asking for a miracle and he replied, “Tell me what you have in your house. Because blessings from above do not rest on an empty table, and they do not rest in an empty place.”  She said, “I have nothing in my house except a small measure of oil.” She had only enough oil to cover her little finger. But after hearing this, Elisha said to her, “You have now given me an opening. Now that I understand that you have a small amount of oil, there is a place for the blessings to come down and rest.”

That was when the miracle occurred for her. The small amount of oil that she had in her house overflowed and filled so many vessels that she was able to sell it to pay off all her debts. The Zohar says, “Through awakening in our physical world, we awaken lights in the supernal worlds. Because the supernal Lights, the flow of energy, of Light, of blessings, do not come from above until there is a vessel, an awakening created from below, by us. But if there is emptiness, if there is nothing there, then the miracle, the blessings, cannot rest, cannot come down.” Like the small amount of oil, or the 1% chance, that is all the opening that is needed for a miracle.

Miracles happen every day but we are so accustomed to chalking it up to good luck that we seldom see them for what they really are—manifestations of our actions that create small openings for the miracles to flow into our lives.  When you create a miracle through your actions, the Light produces a miracle in return. Famous Sagittarian Winston Churchill remarked, “Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.” We are surrounded by more miracle-making energy this month than usual. So let’s get to work!

God does not create miracles, we do. Where can you create small openings for miracles in your life?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *